If you're reading this article, it's probably because you're having trouble with opening your QuickBooks data file. We want to get you back up and running as quickly as possible.
This article can help you if:
- You can't open your company file and get one of the following error messages: -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130.
- You have missing or blank lists for your customers, vendors, or employees.
- You get an H101, H202, H303, or H505 error (please see this article: Error Code: H303 first).
- Your file is severely damaged and will not open, but you can open sample company files (or other files).
Note: For QuickBooks 2014 R5 and later, you may be prompted to run the internal (built-in) version of File Doctor. If so, please use the version contained in this article instead, as it is the most up-to-date version and has the highest chance of resolving your issue.
Read Me first!
- Download the QuickBooks File Doctor to your computer: QuickBooks File Doctor
- If you already have a version of File Doctor on your computer (you will see a green File Doctor icon on your desktop), you will need to proceed with downloading and installing File Doctor from this article to ensure you have the latest release. It is recommended to uninstall any previous versions of File Doctor before downloading and installing from this article.
- After the download completes, right-click on the downloaded qbfd.exe or QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and click Run as Administrator
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- The QuickBooks File Doctor opens automatically after installing.
- If you do not see it opening, look for a green wrench icon in your Windows Taskbar.
- Use the drop-down list to find your company file (this is based on your last 10 open companies). If you do not see your company file in the list, click the browse button and manually locate it to continue.
- Select one of the following options:
- Both file damage and network connectivity - if you suspect your company file is damaged, or you see a 6xxx error (such as -6150, -6000 -82, -6000 -305, -6000 -301, -6147, or -6130) when you try to open your company file (data file problems).
- Network connectivity only - If you are using QuickBooks in a multi-user setup and get an H202 (or H303/H505) error when you try to open your company file (network errors).
- When prompted, enter the Admin password for your company file, and then click Next.
- You will then be prompted to choose Host/Server or Workstation. It is important to make sure you pick the right option!
- If you are running File Doctor on a workstation (meaning your QuickBooks file is physically not stored/hosted on this machine), then pick Workstation.
- If you are running File Doctor on a Server computer (meaning the QuickBooks file is physically stored on this machine), then pick Server. You should also pick Server if you are the only user and use QuickBooks on only one computer.
- Choose one of the following options, if prompted to share your company file:
- Yes - if you are running File Doctor on the computer hosting the company file (only choose this if you are running File Doctor on your server computer or host computer).
- No - if you are running File Doctor on a computer that is not hosting the company file (aka your Workstation).
- Wait until the File Doctor finishes diagnosing.
Note: If you are running the data damage + networking option, you will need to wait until the tool finishes. Depending on whether your file is local or on a network, and file size, it could take a while to finish diagnosing and repairing your data file. The network-only mode shouldn't take any longer than a minute or two.
After QuickBooks File Doctor completes repair and diagnosis:
- Close File Doctor.
- Regardless of the results screen, try opening your QuickBooks file again to see if the issue is resolved.
If you continue to have issues we recommend contacting Intuit Support for assistance.
To contact Intuit Support, please see the numbers listed below:
- Intuit - 866-340-7237
- Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
If Intuit does return a solution that requires the assistance of Summit Support, please submit a ticket and we will work with their instructions.