Note: This article outlines the steps to adjust your Email Account Settings and QuickBooks. However, the same steps can be used to fix issues with Sage products, JobBoss, and other 3rd party applications. If further assistance is needed for adjusting settings within your 3rd party application please refer to that application's support team for assistance.
Microsoft has announced the deprecation, or sunsetting, of legacy authentication protocols (Basic Authentication), beginning October 1, 2022. Basic authentication has been replaced with Modern Authentication, which supports Multi-Factor Authentication for enhanced security.
To resolve the Outlook desktop disconnection issue, you will first need to ensure modern authentication is enabled on the local machine. The below article will walk you through how to enable Modern Authentication as well as provide you steps for getting Outlook successfully reconnected:
Please have your Exchange or Email Host provider Administrator confirm the below is active.
In the Microsoft 365 admin center, go to Settings > Org Settings > Modern Authentication. In the Modern authentication flyout that appears, click to enable or disable Turn on modern authentication for Outlook 2013 for Windows and later (recommended).
It's also possible the connecting application may be requiring an App Password depending on the settings chosen above.
Those instructions are a per-user setting and we cannot configure that for you.
Additional Solution Suggestions:
Modern Authentication is enabled by default in Outlook 2016 and up (and some versions of Outlook 2013), however, in some cases, the following additional steps are needed:
- Verify you can sign into Outlook on the Web and access email at the following web address: https://outlook.office.com. This will confirm the credentials, whether MFA is enabled, and give you access to your email.
- Clear any remaining Windows Credentials tied to your email address on the Hosted Server for Office and Outlook.
- Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials.
- Make sure any entries associated with Office, Outlook, or Office 365 are deleted. *It is not necessary to delete OneDrive entries. Those are independent of Office.
- The following Registry edits can be applied to the machine based on the version you are using.
Please note registry changes may affect the machine and cause issues. If you are not familiar or uncertain, please contact your administrator or Summit Hosting Support for assistance.
Change should be made on every server:
- Open Registry Editor as a Different User.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ExcludeHttpsRootDomain and set it to 1, and then press Enter.
- Again on the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ExcludeHttpsAutoDiscoverDomain and set it to 1
- Exit Registry Editor.
These changes should be made of the other options above does not resolve your issue:
For Outlook 2016 and Newer:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
For Outlook 2013 and Older:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
- Please copy the registry that will apply to your version of Outlook into a Notepad. We will want to save the File as "Enable.Reg" and change save as type to all files. The registry should then be accessible to run.
- After applying those registry edits, we recommend rebooting the Server to ensure they are applied.
* It may take about 5-10 minutes for the changes to become effective.
- In some cases, you may need to create a new Outlook profile manually.
- Go to Start > Run (or the Search bar next to the Start menu) and type the following then press Enter: outlook.exe /profiles
- Enter your email address and click Sign in when prompted. You should be prompted to enter the account password, and if MFA Is enabled then enter the verification code.
The Workaround for this issue is to follow these steps within QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks
- Click the Edit menu and select Preferences.
- Select Send Forms.
- Select Web Mail and Add.
- Fill out the Add Email Info and select OK.
- Select OK again to save your changes.
This is an inquiry about the QuickBooks application on your server or an email setting and not an issue that is caused by the server itself. Please contact Intuit Support for assistance with this request. To contact Intuit Support, please see the numbers listed below:
- Intuit - 866-340-7237
- Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
If Intuit does return a solution that requires our assistance, please reply and we will work with their instructions.