This is a guide to scheduling an automatic backup within the QB and task scheduler applications.
Requirements to Complete this Process:
- Admin server access.
- Admin access to the QuickBooks file.
Steps and Screenshots:
Instead of manually backing up your company file, let QuickBooks do it automatically.
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and select Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Go to the File menu again and hover over Back up Company. Then select Create Local Backup.
- In the window, select Local Backup and then Next.
- In the Local Backup Only section, select Browse and select where you want to save your backup company file.
- Set the number of backups you want to keep. This is optional.
Tip: No need to pencil it in on your calendar. Use the options in the Online and Local Backup section to set backu reminders.
- In the Online and Local Backup section, select Complete verification. This runs a test to make sure your backup file is in good shape before you save.
- When you're ready, select OK.
- Select Save it now and schedule future backups and then Next. Or if you don't want to save a backup now, select Only schedule future backups.
- Select the Save backup copy automatically when I close my company file checkbox. Then select the number of times between backups.
- To create a schedule, select New. Fill out the data fields to create a backup schedule. You can set a specific time or day of the week.
- After you set your schedule, select OK. QuickBooks asks you to enter your Windows sign-in password. This gives QuickBooks permission to run the scheduled backup.
- When you're ready to create your backup, select Finish.
- If another UAC prompt pops up to place the Windows credentials, type in the Summit credentials *note only the server admin user can set up the task scheduler.
- Go to QB Backup task in the task scheduler, then Edit Properties.
*You may also need to change the task to you as administrator.
- If still not working, contact Intuit support using the numbers below:
• Intuit - 866-340-7237
• Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
*If Intuit does return a solution that requires our assistance, please submit a ticket and we will work with their instructions.
Additional URLs or References (as needed):