To create a user login and set permissions for additional users, follow these steps:
1. Log in to the company file as the Admin user.
2. From the menu bar select Company > Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users.
3. From the User List dialog box select Add User.
4. Enter a User Name and Password (optional but recommended) and enter the password again to confirm.
5. If you need to add additional licenses to your QuickBooks file, click the Explain link.
6. If you didn’t enter a password, click Yes to create a password or No to skip this step.
7. Select the access option:
All Areas - Provides access to all areas of QuickBooks except those which require Admin access.
Selected Areas - Allows you to choose the options for access to each sensitive area of your company file.
8. You now work through nine permission screens. On the tenth screen, you can review the permission settings. Each dialog box offers details about the access levels and most include some or all of the following permission levels:
Selective Access - Includes all or some of these options:
Create transactions only
Create and print transactions
Create transactions and create reports
If you are uncertain about the limitations of a permission setting, you can set it for the Create Only option - the highest level of security. Then login as that new user and attempt to access an area the employee will work in or an area they shouldn’t be in to determine if the permissions assigned provide the controls you need. QuickBooks will tell you what level of permission is needed for any task you attempt.
If you encounter any issues we recommend contacting Intuit Support for assistance.
To contact Intuit Support, please see the numbers listed below:
- Intuit - 866-340-7237
- Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
If Intuit does return a solution that requires our assistance, please let us know and we will work with their instructions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.