You would want to edit this file whenever you need to change the QuickBooks license number and/or product ID:
- Log into the server
- Open Task Manager and end all QBW32.exe processes
- Browse to: C:\ProgramData\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- Create a copy of the qbregistration.dat file and rename it to qbregistration_ORIG.dat
- Right-Click the qbregistration.dat file
- Click Open With...
- Select Notepad then click OK
- Click Format then click Word Wrap
- Locate the license number that you need to edit. You can use CTRL + F if necessary, however, as you get used to reading this script you will learn how to quickly find it. It’s broken up into sections starting with <VERSION number="24.0">, where the 24 would be QB14, 25 would be QB15, etc.
- Carefully edit the license and or product ID (which is identified as InstallID)
- Save and close the qbregistration.dat file
- Launch QuickBooks, press CTRL + 1 for the Product Information window to confirm it has the correct license info
If you continue to have issues we recommend contacting Intuit Support for assistance.
To contact Intuit Support, please see the numbers listed below:
- Intuit - 866-340-7237
- Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
If Intuit does return a solution that requires our assistance, please let us know and we will work with their instructions.