This article contains instructions on how to update your QuickBooks company file to your current version of QuickBooks.
Upgrading the QuickBooks software does not automatically upgrade your company files. You will need to manually upgrade your company files.
To upgrade a company file after a software upgrade, simply open the company file as Admin and then let the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard guide you through the process.
**Note that only the QuickBooks Admin user can upgrade the company file, so be sure to have the QuickBooks Admin credentials. Once the file is upgraded by the Admin user, it will be upgraded for all users and this process will not need to be repeated. If you have multiple company files then this process will need to be repeated for each file you access.**
How To Upgrade Your QuickBooks Company Files:
1. Log into your server and launch QuickBooks.
2. Choose to Open or restore an existing company.
If prompted by the Express Start Wizard (“Let’s set up your business!”), simply close out of it to get to the No Company Open window.
3. Choose to Open a company file and click Next.
4. Browse to where your company files are located. The default locations are:
SummitHosting (C:) > Users > Public > Public Documents > Intuit > QuickBooks > Company Files.
Shared Data (S:) > ...
Locate your company file and click Open
If you see multiple files with similar names, choose the file with the green/yellow icon that has a "Type" labeled "QuickBooks Company File":
5. Enter the company file's Admin credentials and click OK.
6. You will be prompted to update the company file. Click Update Now and the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard will begin to update your file.
*The Update Wizard will automatically create a backup copy prior to updating your company file.
7. When finished, click Done to start working in your file in the new version of QuickBooks.