This article contains instructions on how to update your QuickBooks company file to your current version of the QuickBooks software.
Upgrading the QuickBooks software does not automatically update your QuickBooks company files. You will need to manually update your company files if you have upgraded to a newer version of the QuickBooks software (e.g., if you upgraded from QuickBooks Pro 2018 to QuickBooks Pro 2019).
All you need to do to update a company file is simply open the file in the new QuickBooks software and then let the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard guide you through the process.
**Note that only the QuickBooks Admin user can update a QuickBooks file, so please be sure to have the QuickBooks Admin credentials prior to updating a company file. Once the file is updated by the Admin user, it will be updated for all users and this process will not need to be repeated. If you have multiple company files then this process will need to be repeated for each file you access.**
How to update your QuickBooks company file:
1. Log into your server and launch QuickBooks
2. Choose to Open or restore an existing company on the No Company Open window
If prompted by the Express Start Wizard (“Let’s set up your business!”), simply close out of it to get to the No Company Open window.
3. Choose to Open a company file and click Next
4. Click on This PC on the left side of the window and then open your Summit Hosting (C:) drive
5. Once you have your (C:) Drive open, click on the folder named "Users", then follow this path: Public -> Public Documents -> Intuit -> QuickBooks -> Company Files
6. Locate your company file in the "Company Files" Folder and click Open
If you see multiple files with similar names, choose the file with the green/yellow icon like shown below.
7. Enter the QuickBooks Admin user credentials to this company file and click OK
8. You will be prompted to Update your Company File. Click Update Now and the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard will begin to update your file
*The Update Wizard will automatically create a backup copy prior to updating your company file.
9. The Update Wizard will first back up and then update your company file
10. When finished, click Done to start working in your file in the new version of QuickBooks