TruGrid Connector for Windows PC is Summit Hosting's latest way to log into your server. With its built-in, optional Multi-Factor Authentication and ability to access your server from an application as well as a web portal, it offers better security and even easier access wherever and whenever you need it.
If you will be utilizing Multi-factor Authentication, the following steps will bring through the setup process of the TruGrid Connector for Windows PC. If you are not utilizing the added security that multi-factor authentication provides, please check out our TruGrid Basic Setup Guide for Windows PC to complete your setup process.
Note: You must have your Windows computer, smartphone, and Internet access to complete these steps.
Step One: Download and install the TruGrid Windows Connector
a. On your Windows computer, download TruGrid Windows Connector from https://www.trugrid.com/downloads/winconnector. This will download a file named "TruGrid_Windows_Connector_Installer".
b. Once the download is complete, open the downloaded installer (check your downloads folder if you do not see it at the bottom of your browser), which will open the following popup window:
c. Click "Install".
Step Two: Log into TruGrid
a. Enter your username into the window that opens (the username is your current Summit Hosting username with @summithosting.ca at the end)
- Enter your server password and click continue.
Step Three: Install TruGrid Authenticator on your Smartphone
- From your smartphone, go to the App Store or Google Play Store and search for TruGrid Authenticator.
- Follow instructions to install TruGrid Authenticator.
- Return to your Windows computer and click NEXT.
Step Four: Setup Multifactor Authentication (MFA)
- From your Smart Phone, open the TruGrid Authenticator
- Click the + sign on the top right of the TruGrid Authenticator. This will open your phone camera. Accept any prompt from your phone to allow TruGrid to use your camera to scan MFA setup QR code
- Use your Smart Phone to scan the QR code displayed on your computer.
- From the TruGrid Authenticator app on your Smart Phone, click ALLOW. This will add a six-digit security code to the display on your computer and advance it to the next screen.
*If this does not happen, please manually type the six-digit code and click NEXT on your computer.
Step Five: Validate your phone. This allows you to reset your MFA in the future.
- Enter your mobile phone number in the area specified on the computer and click SEND CODE
- Obtain the code from your mobile phone and enter it in the area specified on your computer
- Click SUBMIT AND LOGIN
Step Six: Connect to your assigned desktop.
- After logging into the TruGrid Workspace application successfully, you may now connect to your Summit Hosting server.
*The next time you need to connect to your remote desktop, open the TruGrid Windows Connector application and log in with your password and MFA in order to connect.
What to expect the first time you log in:
The next two screens will only be presented the first time you log in using TruGrid. Every subsequent login thereafter will not present the following pop-ups.
- Read the End-User License Agreement for the TruGrid Connector software and click "I Agree" to proceed with the connection to your desktop.
- Windows Defender Firewall:
- Most users will be asked to approve the connection through the Windows Defender Firewall (or Windows Firewall, depending on the Windows version). Be sure both "network" boxes are checked, then click "Allow access."
Step Seven: Begin your Remote Desktop Connection
- Check the box for "Don't ask me again…" and then click "Connect" to finalize the connection to your desktop.
*Additional Optional Steps: Configure RDP Settings for better display results, folder or printer redirection, and more when logging into your server.
A. To configure RDP SETTINGS, click the drop-down menu on the top right corner of the TruGrid Windows Connector, then select Settings from the drop-down menu.
B. Configure your preferred RDP SETTINGS and click SAVE when done.