This article contains instructions on how to update your QuickBooks company file to your current version of QuickBooks.
Upgrading the QuickBooks software does not automatically upgrade your company files. You will need to manually upgrade your company files.
To upgrade a company file after a software upgrade, simply open the company file as Admin and then let the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard guide you through the process.
**Note that only the QuickBooks Admin user can upgrade the company file, so be sure to have the QuickBooks Admin credentials. Once the file is upgraded by the Admin user, it will be upgraded for all users and this process will not need to be repeated. If you have multiple company files then this process will need to be repeated for each file you access.**
How To Upgrade Your QuickBooks Company Files:
- Log into your server and launch QuickBooks.
- Choose to Open or restore an existing company.
If prompted by the Express Start Wizard (“Let’s set up your business!”), simply close out of it to get to the No Company Open window.
- Choose to Open a company file then click Next.
- Browse to where your company file(s) is located. The default locations are:
- C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- S:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- For some users, it might be within a Shared drive or a "Clients" folder located within the root of C:\ or S:\
- Click on your company file and click Open
- If you see multiple files with similar names, choose the file with the green/yellow icon that has a "Type" labeled "QuickBooks Company File":
- Enter the company file's Admin credentials and click OK.
- You will be prompted to update the company file. Click Update Now and the QuickBooks Company File Update Wizard will begin to update your file. *The Update Wizard will automatically create a backup copy prior to updating your company file
- When finished, click Done
You should now be able to start working in your company file within the new version of QuickBooks.
If you have issues with this process we recommend contacting Intuit Support for assistance.
To contact Intuit Support, please see the numbers listed below:
- Intuit - 866-340-7237
- Intuit Canada - 866-935-7237
If Intuit does return a solution that requires our assistance, please submit a ticket and we will work with their instructions.