Accountant editions of QuickBooks (QuickBooks Premier Accountant or QuickBooks Enterprise Accountant) have this nifty feature called the Accountant Center that contains a suite tools to help accountants do some accounting. However, by default, the Accountant Center is set to automatically appear when a QB file is opened in an Accountant edition...and that can be annoying as it opens at startup every time.
Thus, we can disable the show Accountant Center when opening a company file option for the QB installation to save our clients a few inconvenient extra clicks.
Disable the Accountant Center at Startup
- Log into the server with QuickBooks Accountant
- Browse to the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks 201X directory on the server
- Right-click the QBW.ini file, select Properties, and uncheck the Read-only attribute
- Launch the QuickBooks application and open a sample QB file
- When the Accountant Center appears, uncheck Show Accountant Center when opening a company file
- Close out of the sample QB file
- Open the same QBW.ini file, remove any name that appears in the LASTUSERNAME= line, and then Save
- Right-click the QBW.ini file, select Properties, and re-check the Read-only attribute
If you got lucky and the Accountant Center did not appear when opening the sample QB file, go to Accountant > Accountant Center from the top menu and double-check to make sure that option is deselected.
And that's all there is to it! After making the changes above, you can test by jumping back into another QuickBooks sample company file. If the Accountant Center no longer appears, then you did it!