To restore a QuickBooks backup file (.qbb):
1. Open QuickBooks
2. Choose "Open an existing company file" (if you have a large window asking to setup your business, close that window)
3. Choose "Restore a backup copy" and then "Local backup"
4. Browse to wherever your .qbb backup file is located
5. Press "Next" which will bring you to the "Save Company File as" window. Here is where you will choose where the company file will be stored. The default (and recommended) directory is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
6. Once the restore process finishes you should be prompted to log into your company file
To create a QuickBooks backup file (.qbb):
1. Open your QuickBooks company file
2. Choose File / Back Up Company / Create Local Backup
3. Select "Local Backup"
4. Choose "Options" and then "Browse"
5. Browse to the folder where the backup file should reside
6. Make sure "Complete Verification" is selected / OK / Choose "Use This Location" (if asked)
7. Next / "Save It Now" / Next / Leave the default name / Save
8. Your QuickBooks .qbb backup file will be saved in the specified location.